– Malaysian* and Bruneian students born after 2 April 2004 and before 1 April 2007 are eligible to apply for this program
The age requirement is set as such due to the visa and school requirement in Japan. Students need to be at a certain age during their arrival.
– Still in school whilst in the application process
– Obtained a minimum of 60% marks in all subjects in the final examination for the past two years and the most recent test results. For Malaysian students, please submit final exam results in 2019, Pentaksiran Berasaskan Sekolah (PBS) or Pentaksiran Bilik Darjah (PBD) in 2020 and the latest test for 2021
– In good physical and mental health
– Open minded, mature and ready for a challenge
– Highly motivated and in the top quartile in school
– Prepared to attend schooling in a foreign country, and be committed to learn the language
– Adaptable, responsible and flexible
– A keen learner to experience the world!
– Believe and understand the mission of AFS; become a global citizen by going on one of our programs
– Japanese learners or willing to learn Japanese
– Strong leadership qualities
– Have not participated in the ASIA KAKEHASHI program before.
*Disclaimer: This is a 10-month program. Malaysian students selected for the program are subject to the approval from the Ministry of Education Malaysia.
Priority will be given to students from low-income background.