You don’t have to go far to find an AFSer making a difference at home or around the world. That’s because AFS helps young people become engaged global citizens—prepared and committed to bringing people together and helping make the world a better place.
Who is eligible for this programme?
All students aged between 15 and 17 are eligible to apply for this programme. If you are currently in Form 3, 4 or 5, we will consider your application if we receive the form before the closing date. You do not need to be the best academically as we are looking for people who are able to adapt, are open and willing to share their culture as well as learn a new one.
Eligibility for YES (Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange & Study Program)
• Form 5 students ONLY (May be 16-17 years old)
• Students with disability: Aged 15-17 years old (Hearing and visual impaired)
Minimum acceptance criteria:
Please note this is a general guide and some countries may have more strict or flexible criteria, which can be found on the individual country pages.
• Aged between 15-17 on date of departure (some destinations have more specific age limits)
• Still be at school whilst in the application process
• Be in good physical and mental health
• Be open minded, mature and ready for a challenge
• Have maintained at least a B grade average or equivalent at school (some destinations have more higher requirement for academic results)
• Be prepared to continue your schooling in a foreign country, and be committed to learn the language
• Be adaptable, responsible and flexible
• Be a keen learner and experience the world!
• Believe and understand the mission of AFS; become a global citizen by going on one of our programs